Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Basket Case

 I can't believe its ten days since I last posted. So much has happened and some has been good and some very sad.



Lucky helping me sew.

Wednesday last week Pat & I took my 15 year old cat Lucky to the vet. We were so hoping Lucky would come home, but deep down I knew this wasn't going to happen.

It was her kidneys shutting down. The vet was so wonderful to not only us but so gentle with Lucky. When it was time (though I was crying) I squatted down on my hunches and looked into Lucky's eyes and told her how much I loved her and thanked her for 15 years of a wonderful friendship.

I wanted my face to be the last thing she saw and my voice the last thing she heard.

She's buried out the back and I can see her from the kitchen table. I wrapped her in a red woolen diamond jumper I knitted years ago. Lucky so loved the jumpers in the winter time. Popped her in one of my pretty quilting boxes as well.

Next month we are going to plant an orange tree on top and we'll call its "Lucky's Tree".

So my week of sewing went out the window as I struggle to get used to not having my little fur buddy helping me with cooking, sewing, cleaning and even keeping me company in the bathroom while I soak in the tub.

Until yesterday I had only made 2 hexi flowers for a swap I am in.

A trip up to Dawn's sure put my sewing mojo back in top gear. I worked on the first block of "Bluebirds and Blueberries".




Then yesterday afternoon and last night I made this little basket.




Its for my dear friend Amanda. She saw mine a couple of weeks ago and loved the whole look of it.


 


Figured a little item to be made over the day was a gentle way to spend my hours. I love the whole look of this basket and keep thinking...I wouldn't mind keeping it for myself.

Then I thought, some of these baskets would be good as stocking fillers. I have a feeling there could be a few more posts coming up about this little item.



Technorati technorati tags: ,

5 comments:

Larissa said...

So sorry to hear about Lucky!! Reading your post I was reminded of our dear cats who have been with us over the years and passed, several of them also due to kidney's shutting down ... so sad! When you spoke of bending down to make sure the last things she saw and heard were you - I admit the tears were falling! I did this very same thing with our dear, sweet Shenade! I was super angry I wasn't able to say goodbye to Maria (Shenade's daughter), and so when it came time to say goodbye to Shenade I made sure I was there with her ... I even got a gf to come along as I knew I would be an utter wreak (and I was). She had to help me out to the car ... and drive me home!! I dread the day I need to say goodbye to our current cats, Pepper (though, he is 12!), Furbie and Layla (who are each about 8).
Wishing you love and cuddles at this time!!

Maria said...

Sorry to hear about your friend "Lucky"
It is always hard when we loss one of furry friends..
I love your basket too. Lovely fabrics you used.

Sandi said...

Sorry to hear about your cat...a tree is a lovely idea. Love your little basket, can see why you would want to keep it yourself..hope you are feeling happier soon..

Chris H said...

How sad about your little cat. The Lucky Tree is a nice idea.
do you have a pattern for that little fabric basket, as it's gorgeous!

Pip said...

I'm tearing up here Lucky :(

It's always sad to say goodbye to a furry friend, especially one as much loved as Lucky, but the knowledge she had the best life that you could give her, and was very much loved, brings comfort. So nice that you are going to plant a memorial plant, every time you eat an orange from "Lucky's Tree" you will remember her.