Friday, January 20, 2012

Senior Quilts

I am not comfortable calling this project "quilts for oldies" or the elderly. As many of these awesome people are very alert, interdependent and capable of looking after themselves.

Sure we're on a disability pension and have to watch our pennies , but this doesn't mean I can't make a senior feel good and know there is someone out there, thinking of them.

This year I am making it the year of the quilts and to kick start off my quilting year are some 9 patch quilts for them.

Next street over are some units where seniors live. They will be where I will start offering these lap or a bit bigger quilts. I'm just going to knock on the doors, I have heard of items as gifts not reach the seniors in some retirement villages.

Please note...I am not saying this place does that in anyway. Plus I'll be able to write their name on the quilt label as well.

Lets take a look at what I have done so far.




With Pa still here and not having my sewing room and the kitchen table (forever making homemade biscuits and cups of tea...lol) I have only managed to put the blocks into piles, ready for sewing. These blocks were given to me and I am now going to pass on this gift.

I have them wrapped, due to the furkids thinking they maybe able to do better with matching the fabrics.

Stored under the bed and if I can't remember where they are I can look here and see where I put them.



I scored a $10 voucher from Spotlight on Facebook and the yellow fabric was on clearance for $4.00 a metre. I bought 6.2 metres and this will be used for backing.

On the Spotlight page it says, "only 1 voucher per customer per day" so yesterday as we were nearby I called in and bought the blue fabric 3 metres for $2.00 as it was $4.00 a metre as well.

This I am thinking this will make a great border on hopefully 3 of the quilts.

While I am getting the tops together I'll need to save for the wadding. This is going to be the most expensive part of quilts.

I can't wait to get started on them. I am just so excited.



Technorati technorati tags: , , , , ,

5 comments:

Ondrea said...

Leanne, you must feel really good about what you are doing. You are another earth angel. There is always some way we can make life a bit more cheerier for others . I know that our knitting group has put many smiles on faces as as our patchwork group. Angel hugs to you my lovely.

cheryl said...

Lucky, I always refer to the 'oldies' as living historians, I like that! and good luck with the blankets, lovely idea!

Quiltin' Sandy said...

A wonderful idea, Lucky. It doesn't matter what age you are, it is always so lovely to get an unexpected gift, and one that will be treasured, I'm sure.
Perhaps some of the folk are like some where my DM lives- they have no relatives/ visitors at all. :( Bless you for your kind heart. xxxx

Gloria said...

Wonderful idea for those in need. look forward to seeing them done. You have such a good heart,I'm sure they will be well loved.

angela said...

You truely are a wonderful person. Good luck with the quilts I'm very sure they will be greatly appreciated.