Saturday, November 13, 2010

Six Coat Hanger Rule

Do you start something and then finish it or do you start a project and then forget to finish it and move onto the next design that catches your eye???

Me, I have a system and it works great, so I thought I would share it with you.

My six coat hanger rule works for me very well. I don't include the swaps I go in as they always have a due date on them. But for my own items I love the 6 coat hanger idea.




The way my coat hanger rule works is easy, if there is a vacant hanger on the wall, I can start something new. No empty coat hanger, finish something if I feel the need to start something new.

I love my walls as I have free range to hang things on it, this also helps if your not renting the house. LOL. Also I hang all my rulers just above the sewing table for easy reach.

In the photo above, the 3 coat hangers are taken up with the first "Breast Of Friends" block I wasn't happy with. Its hanging there waiting to be turned into a cushion. Been hanging there for a while now, better give it a shake outside to remove any dust build up. eek

Behind the cream table runner (binding that tonight) is my new stitchery quilt "Life Is Beautiful" I am getting ready to start. This quilt replaces the cream table runner on that coat hanger. On the 3rd coat hanger is the bird house wall hanger. That Christmas table runner was on the other side of the room where the other 3 hangers are.




This wall is behind me when I'm at the sewing table. Breast Of Friends block I am working on, plus a couple more table runners cut and to be pieced together.

I love to hang gifts around the room as well, plus templates in bags too. Saves me loosing and spending hours looking for them.

All 6 coat hangers are always hanging something I am making, its in my face to help me not to forget to finish them.

Please don't ask me how I would keep track of my projects if I didn't have a sewing room, cos' I would have no answer for you....lol

Anyway I hope you enjoyed my little (if anal) way I run my sewing room.

You're only limited by your imagination.

Technorati technorati tags: , , ,

12 comments:

barb's creations said...

Love your coat hanger system Leanne,very clever :) Barb.

Maria said...

ah!!! That is what I am doing wrong. I have my projects tucked away on the shelf in boxes. I can't see them so just keep starting new projects. Like the cute Huggles I am doing now.

bon008 said...

That's a fantastic idea, very organised! :)

Jennifer @ Stitchin' Thyme said...

What a great idea - I need to start that one, but I have to whittle down to 6 first. I like it!

Quiltin' Sandy said...

Great idea, Lucky! A permanent reminder! It is so easy to put UFO's away and forget you even have them ( speaking from experience here)-LOL. Some of my UFO's are a bit too big for the hanger system. I bought a whiteboard to keep track of my swaps, but it is behind the door and I keep forgetting to write on it, Back to having notes laying around everywhere. :-(

Robyn said...

Sounds like the coathanger system works well for you :).

Home of Creative Treasures said...

An excellent idea Sis! I have hooks on the front of the tall cupboards in my sewing room with bulldog clips to hold items. I think adding a rule to them would be a good way to keep my own UFO's under control :D

Sharon-NZ said...

good idea indeed, actually I just popped some nails on my shelf in the sewing part of my craft studio and popped clips there to hang stuff....

Melissa said...

Great idea, Lucky!

Anita said...

What a great idea! I love it!
Unfortunately I don't have a sewing room so all the projects have to be put away, and I hate doing that is they are out of sight out of mind, and then I go starting something else!! LOL

creativedawn said...

Oh wow! I like this idea; however, to start with I would need a lot more than 6 hangers...lol!

hugz
Pam

antmee said...

I love this idea! When I can get my UFO's down to just six projects I might just implement this idea! lol