Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Mum's Sewing Seat.

When I look at something that is given to me, I love to know the stories that go with it. It makes the gift more personal and special in my books.

When my Mum died back in 1994, I was given all her knitting books and needles. I was the main knitter out of us 3 daughters. They are treasured and will go to Amy at some stage down the road.

This month I was given another very special item of my Mum's. One thing I never thought would be given to me. Always figured it would go to one of my other 2 sisters.






My mum's sewing stool.

I was blown away when Dad offered the stool to me.




Inside I'm going to keep my sewing basket and my DMC threads. Even though the seat is solid made, I don't want too much weight stored inside it.

Really cool thing is, it has coasters underneath, makes it easy for moving in and out from the sewing table. Also the seat is a little bit higher than the kitchen chair I was using.

I'm sitting here trying to explain to you how the gift has affected me, but I can't put it into words.

When I go into my sewing room now, I see Pa's beautiful gift of the sewing table and then Mum's sewing seat........................ it's rather over whelming to think Pa & Dad have given me something so special and that it feels my heart with so much love.

My mum never saw me take an interest in sewing, laughed when the two words (sewing/Leanne) was used in the same sentence.

So when I see her next, my "Dream bag" will be overflowing with show and tell.

You're only limited by your imagination

8 comments:

Shirlwin said...

What a privilege! You are indeed so Lucky to have received special gifts, the sewing seat will hold a lot of stash!

Vicki ♥ said...

That is very special Leanne :) It warms the heart to have special things like that :)

Maria said...

It is truely special to have something of your Mum's. I have Mum's sewing machine and I often take her with me to retreats. I even talk to her. It is like Mum is with me. Wierd ah!! So I know what you mean about not being able to put it into words.

Narelle said...

Dear Leanne, I no that when you sit on the sewing stool and are thinking what to make that the right thing will now come into your head as your mum is with you in that sewing room.
Sewing Hugs
Narelle

Chris H said...

How lovely. I am sure you will treasure that stool.

Jude said...

Oh leanne you made me cry when i read this post nad how wonderful to get your mums sewing stool and to be able to think of her every time you sit on it.

Liz said...

Lucky--this was a beautiful post. I do hope you continue to get lots of pleasure out of your "gifts"

Robyn said...

I think you put how you feel into words very well in the last sentence. What a lovely post about your special gifts :).