Sunday, October 25, 2009

Here Comes The Judge

Are you, your own worse judge when it comes to any of your craft work? I am and always have and always will be.

When I am knitting, if I make a mistake and after over 35 years of knitting I have learnt how to fix them without frogging them as much. If I don't fix it, I tend to stuff up somewhere else as that boo-boo plays on my mind.

Are you like me?? When your not happy with your work it plays on you? It does with me. This has happened with my Breast of Friends block and I am only on the 1st one block. Have a long way to go with the quilt and I had to make a choice now, before it drove me nuts.

Barb was kind enough to let me know what she does with her blocks, when I sent out a call for help and tips. Thanks heaps and I will be doing this in any future adventures I go on.

So lets take a look at my problem and how I have fixed it.







Your not seeing twins..... I am not making 2 quilts.

The block on the left is the one I am not happy with. I don't like the use of the whisper weft on the back and I am so not happy with my embroidery for the words. Also I used 2 threads with the blanket stitch on the applique and I wished I had used 1 thread. I love the finer look it gives.

Another issue was the fraying of the last boarder I put onto the block.

So yesterday afternoon I started again.

The seed homespun I used was 13 inches and not the 11.5 inches and has a light weight iron on interfacing. Same as I used on the 2 Christmas bags I made last week. Then I zig-zag around the edging to stop any fraying.

Many sewing hugs Barb for suggesting the extra size for the stitchery.

When I'm ready to sew on the boarders, I'll cut the block back to 11.5 cm.




The first block, see how the words are puckering? I was just so annoyed with the result and the iron wasn't helping to settle it down much either.



Now here is the second block and I think you will agree with me, much better. Also I like the finer look of the blanket stitch.

I am seeing this stumbling as a lesson and if I don't learn from it, then its a mistake. Slept good last night, no negative thoughts about the quilt when I went to bed.

Happier this morning about the whole adventure I am taking with my sister Deb. So very, very happy I chose to follow my heart and do what made me happy.


Your only limited by your imagination.




Technorati technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,

9 comments:

miss~nance said...

I know what you mean by being your own worse judge.

I can definately see a difference in the lettering. HAvetn thought about using one thread for the blanket stitch might try that next time.

Gail

Tozz said...

I find if I dont fix the mistake it bugs me to the point of not liking the item. So fix it I always do now. Yours is looking really lovely and I like the colours you have picked. I thought the first block looked great too. hugs
Vicki

Lucky-1 said...

Thanks so much for your comments Gail & Vicki. :)

Khris said...

ahhh so did you try the one thread after I suggested that to you the other day Lucky? I always think it looks a lot neater too....hugs Khris

Khris said...

ohh I love your fabrics and colours you are using..hugs Khris

Lucky-1 said...

Thanks for dropping in Khris. The cushions I used the blanket stitch on, were with 1 thread. I regretted using 2 threads after it was all completed.

I love the colour scheme and look out with the next block...lol

barb's creations said...

Glad to be able to help Leanne.Just be careful with the blue marker you're using to trace your lettering as it has a bad habit of coming back.Don't leave it in the sun as it sets it and then it keeps coming back even after repeated washing,my sister found this out the hard way.I use a 0.1 micron marker(brown) for all my wording or stitchery patterns :) Barb.

Karen's Korner said...

I would have done the same Leanne. I am sure you would have "lost interest" and it would have ended up tossed in a corner and wasted. My pet hate. I also prefer the flowers placed above the bird - it fills in that corner nicely. Looking forward to seeing each block as you progress through them.

Lucky-1 said...

Thanks for the tip about the sun and the blue pen Barb.

Glad to know I'm not alone with starting over too Karen.