Friday, May 22, 2009

My Own Tote Bag

I was sent this Egyptian print material very early of this year and its been sitting in the fabric draw, waiting for me to make good use of it.

Straight away I thought I could use it for a tote bag, as I don't have a large one. I thought it would be good when traveling to keep Pat's medication in or a days shopping.

Back awhile I found a lovely material that I thought would go nice with the fabric. Today I started my tote bag.






Front and back cut out and on the floor to see how they look.

Want to know a secret??? I'm not using a pattern at all. eek

Looking for the tote size I wanted and I just didn't have a pattern. My sister-in-law gave me a pattern, but I was having problems understanding it. So I figured.... I'd go it alone.





Front and back look the same, more wide than deep as I'm not that tall. I have pinned some of the leaf material across the top and found I like it there.




A button hole is put at one end of each of the strips for the rope tie to be threaded through. Thought of this while I was pinning the strip to the top of the bag. So really the bag is taking shape as I go.

Next on the list is to make and sew pockets to the inside lining. Never made a pocket for a bag before.........should be fun.

The most exciting thing about this project is, it's stamped with my tastes and ideas. It'll be a one off bag....no chance of seeing this one down the shops or in the back of a stranger's car.


I want to buy some pellon 640 to give extra softness and thickness to the bag. That I hope to buy next week.

Stay tuned.........

Your only limited by your imagination.


Technorati technorati tags: , ,

4 comments:

Debs said...

There is no stopping you now Lucky. Your sewing is great. Thank you so much for my birthday present. I love it.

Lucky-1 said...

Thanks Deb, hope you can put it to good use.

MissyMack said...

Good on you Lucky! You bag is going to look fabulous!

clare's craftroom said...

It looks great , can't wait to see it finished .