Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Testing My Brain.

This bag has my brain being tested over and over. Unlike my knitting I just say...."Yep I love this item, I'll knit that". Not a problem with the knitting as I have over 30 years of experience behind me.

I can vaguely remember some of the mistakes I made when learning to knit. My Nanna couldn't understand why each row my stitches doubled. Turned out I was wrapping my yarn around the needle twice. I was in Year 7 at the time.

Getting back to sewing......

I'm finding that sometimes I feel like I am so outside my safety box.




Take these strips for example. I needed 6 X 2 inch tubes and using my head, paper/pencil & calculator I came up with a bit left over. Then in the middle of the night I thought the 2 left over inches was for the 1/4 in seam allowance. Happy with the answer I went back to sleep.

But this afternoon, after working it out...... that doesn't work out and the 2 inches isn't enough to add the 1/4 seam allowances. So I figured, it's like when you pull something apart and you have a screw left over. That 2 inches is my screw in this project.




After removing a seam of thread on the allocated sides of the tubes, I then sewed the 3 strips together and pressed the seams in the correct direction.

That part was finished.

What were all the left over bits of material for???

To save getting confused I did the following.



Labels are great.......

I then read the next stage of the instructions and I put a piece of material here and a piece there. Hummed and harred, drank some skinny coke, did some lunch dishes, pinned more material in another spot........... light came on.......someone was home......

I'm not a robot after all (feel like that with knitting sometimes, as I am so comfortable and know my way round a pattern). I still need to think with these sewing instructions. Need to re-read them and nut out what I need to understand.

I am human.........

Your only limited by your imagination.

Technorati technorati tags: ,

7 comments:

barb's creations said...

Well done Lucky.Can't wait to see the finished bag.I'm sure it will be beautiful.Barb

Tozz said...

Keep perseveering with it Lucky and you will get there. Sometimes you feel like you could tear your hair out and there is no way its going to work but just take it step by step and go slow and it will eventually twig :) Looking so far :)

Karen's Korner said...

We all need a challenge from time to time. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing the finished bag.

Lucky-1 said...

Thanks Barb, I am so pleased with how its coming along so far.

Tozz, I am enjoying the challenge.As each step is taken, I highlight the step and move the next foot. :D

Thanks Karen, challenges keep the brain young. ;)

Debs said...

Looks like the bag is coming along nicely Lucky. Before you know the lucky lady will be using it.

Margarita said...

You are doing extremely well for a newby Lucky, I don't think that I tried anything like this when I first started, and at the time I had not discovered all these talented girls to help if I needed it. So well done and keep trying it will all fall into place eventually and you will wonder why you did not see it in the first place.

Lucky-1 said...

Thanks Debs.... can't wait to give it to the lady.

Margarita, I just have this habit of saying, I like that and want to make it. Thanks for your kind words as well.