Yesterday I decided to spend my day working on my Dear Jane blocks.
After my last effort of 2.5 days on the one block and not being happy with the end result. I thought I would try a different technique and what a difference it was.
Using the template model and hand sewing the pieces together was just a fun and exciting afternoon. Yes afternoon, not 2.5 days.
By printing out the templates onto a heavy weight 132 gm paper I was able to cut out the templates and then photo copy them until I had enough pieces.
You can see by the paper I used the same sheet and just moved the templates around on my photocopier to fit them all on the one sheet.
All cut out and ready for them to be cut down to the size needed before the fabric is glued onto them. I didn't cut them straight away down to the correct size, as I thought cutting them as individually from a big sheet of paper, can leave me open for mistakes with the scissors. Takes a bit longer, but I was happy with this idea and will use it with future blocks.
Yellow paper has the templates on them with the 1/4 inch border still on them. These were cut and glued to the back of some cardboard from cereal boxes. This way as I am tracing around them on the fabric, its easier to do so. Those templates are then stored with the finish block. That way I can reuse them down the track if I want. I so dislike waste.
The finished block. A-8 Florence Nightingale.
I love this block for its crispness, correct size and all over finished look of it. This technique will be used in as many of the blocks as possible.
Am I cheating? I don't think so as there is no right way or wrong way to make a block. As the finished look of the block is what counts.
Pop the kettle on and make a cuppa as I have a story for you.
Back in August last year I had my 50th birthday and my sister and her hubby gave me a quilting workshop for my birthday.
Well yesterday I was able to cash it in so to speak.
My workshop gift was Turned Edge Machine Applique with Rachelle Denneny. It has the look of needle turn, but done by machine.
The workshop was held at Patchwork By Sea's new shop. For a first timer I was so impressed with the set up and how well lit the teaching area was and the space of the area. We even had our own cupboard under the table to store our bags and stuff.
The lovely lady on the right at her machine is my sister Deb. Yep she did the work shop with me, that was the icing on the cake. Rachelle is up the back still setting up her beautiful quilts for us to admire. She also had a talk about them and we could ask questions as well.
My new open toe foot that Terry so kindly went and collected from a Janome shop down the road for me. Terry is 1 half owner of the shop. Made my sewing so much easier. I thought what I had been using for machine blanket stitch was an open toe, but nope it wasn't. Made the job so much easier.
This is my block I was making. I still have to sew around the flowers. But I did get to sew around the frame work.
Our little group at the end of the day with Rachelle in the photo.